Sunday, January 12, 2014

How to Explore New York (in the Hell Hole that is January)

It's Sunday night, which means that your relaxing Lazy Sunday has now turned into an anxious anticipation of Mundane Monday. (Fun with alliteration!) I suggest ignoring this low by doing what I have done (or by simply reading this blog post) and planning out an itinerary for your week.

I use the word "itinerary" to give this the feel of a vacation.  Yes, you still have to go to work this week.  I'm not advising that you quit your job (nor is your landlord), but I am advising that you make plans for the week for you to look forward to.  Not just next weekend, but the entire week. So that life doesn't end up feeling like a cliché '80's song.

In addition to making life feel less mundane (because, frankly, life isn't mundane), I've also made all my suggestions free.  Partially because I know I'm not the only one pinching pennies after the holidays, but also because it's easy to fall into a trap in New York City where you feel as if anything fun, entertaining, or adventurous comes with a steep price tag. I wrote this post to prove to you (and myself) that this is a false notion.

Finally, there was one final challenge I had to overcome in creating this itinerary.  I have not forgotten that it is January, and no one feels like getting out of bed or shedding any blankets.  Hopefully this will re-energize us all.



Monday

9/11 Memorial
This is a classic example of a place that locals probably bypass because they feel they're too busy to bother with tourist attractions.  The last entry is at 5pm, so I'm going to duck out of work (it is a Monday after all) and head straight here.

Tuesday

55 Bar
The only jazz bar I've been to with no cover.  The jazz however is still amazing.  If you come into it with an open mind - as in ready for some potentially very experimental jazz - you'll have a great time. You can also see who's playing on their website to see if it's the sound you're into. Early show at 7pm.
55 Christopher Street

Wednesday

Kagyu Dzamling Kunchab
This place has Tibetan Meditation open to the public from 6:30-8:30pm.
410 Columbus Avenue (79th-80th Streets)

Thursday

Concerts at One - Trinity Church
Skip out at lunch from work and head to Trinity Church for a well-reviewed series that features recitals, operas, and choirs.

Friday

Guggenheim Museum
Friday is a special day when many of the pricier museums make their facilties free in the evening.  I find this the perfect way to unwind at the end of the week before I embark to social events later in the evening.  The Guggenheim is one of my favorites in Manhattan, and definitely worth seeing if you've never been.
1071 5th Avenue, from 5:45-7:45pm (last ticket issued at 7:15pm)

Saturday

Bronx Botanical Gardens
Start your Saturday off early and head to the Bronx Botanical Gardens which are free from 9-10am.
Museum at FIT
Always free. Always avant garde. 10am-5pm at 28 E 63rd Street.
Scandinavia House
Features contemporary and historical art from very artistic and fashionable people. (I want to go here because I'm desperate to go to Stockholm and Copenhagen.)


Extras

On Wednesday after the meditation class, I'm planning on going to my favorite tea room: Serengeti Teas & Spices.  Where they'll bring you a pot of tea (with some steamed almond milk on the side if you have the same taste as me) with impeccable service and top-notch selection for $5.

If you're in need of extra stress relief, and are willing to spend $5 to achieve it, check out Yoga to the People.


My last piece of advice: it's always more fun to be an enthusiastic tourist than a begrudging local, even if you live where you're vacationing.

No comments:

Post a Comment